[Twisted-Python] Possible Twisted sprint

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Tue Jul 14 03:54:13 MDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM, <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:

> On 8 Jul, 04:31 am, jml at mumak.net wrote:
>>
>> I've recently returned from EuroPython where I got a chance to work
>> with Thomas Hervé on Twisted. In the giddy rush of success I thought,
>> "Wouldn't it be great if we could get a whole week to do this?".
>
> Yay!

Thanks everyone for your replies & enthusiasm!

Rather than reply to emails individually, I'm just going to reply to this one.

I've also set up http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Sprint2009 to
track all of the details.

>> I propose that:
>>  - we arrange a week long sprint in Boston this year.
>>  - we ask the PSF & the TSF to assist with travel expenses for some
>> of the more distant community members
>>  - the Boston folk arrange a venue
>>  - individuals figure out how to get the time to attend.
>>  - we determine a date asap.
>
> Sounds like a good proposal to me, but I recommend getting individuals to
> accept responsibilities for parts of this so that there are fewer "we"s in
> it.

To clarify:

- jml arranges a week-long Twisted sprint.
- People who want the TSF or PSF to assist with travel expenses say so
on the wiki page. I'll then speak to the TSF & PSF on behalf of the
sprint as a whole.
- Individuals figure out how they can get the time to attend
- *** I need a volunteer to arrange a venue in Boston. ***

READ THIS BIT!

1. If you are attending, add your name; if you are attending subject
to other conditions (funding, leave etc) then add your name & say
'tentative'; if you are _not_ attending, add your name to the not
attending list.

2. This really is a meeting of individuals.  I cannot promise who will
be there or how good it will be. I can promise that as of Friday, July
17th, the date & city will be set in concrete, even if I can't attend.

3. Put your attendance information on the wiki asap & keep it up to
date. This will help others.

>> In the absence of any better ideas, I suggest that the theme of the
>> sprint be "fix as many bugs as possible".
>
> Good goals are as arbitrary as possible, so how about this to modify your
> proposal:
>
> "Under 1000 Open Tickets"

Yes, that's much better :)

> Even more specifically: I recommend that we dedicate at least one day of the
> sprint purely to triage.  Being together in person will allow us to quickly
> discuss the relative priority of different goals for Twisted, as well as
> identify duplicates.  It's much easier to yell out "does anybody remember a
> ticket like this" in a sprint room than to fight with Trac, or even Google,
> search.

In the context of Twisted's bug tracker, I don't really know what
"triage" would mean. Care to clarify (perhaps on the wiki page?)

>> As for the date, it should be no sooner than September 7. As a
>> starting point, let's say Sep 28-Oct 2.
>
> This should be a pretty good time for me, and it's in my calendar now.
> Anyone else going to have problems making it to an end-of-September sprint?

This seems to be as good a date as any.

jml