[Twisted-Python] Twisted Trial changes working directory

Gerrat Rickert grickert at coldstorage.com
Fri Jul 3 10:18:26 MDT 2009

...and it turns out not to really be a Trial-specific problem - more a
problem with my expectations.
The file takes a while to generate, and I just expected it to be there
after running the program the first time.
- it will get regenerated if it doesn't exist, and I can easily copy it
to the _trial_temp directory for testing

>>There are a number of solutions to this, but I'd just like to
>understand
>>the reasoning behind this surprising behaviour.
>>The docs say that this: "...allows them to write whatever data they
>like
>>to disk, and not worry about polluting the current working directory"
>>...couldn't they just do this without changing the working directory?
>
>This is an ancient feature of trial, from the days when Twisted's own
>test
>suite (the primary driver of trial development for many years) was even
>more crufty than it is today.  In those days, many tests just created
>files
>in the working directory.  The _trial_temp feature provided a single
fix
>which addressed the mess created by all of the tests in one fell swoop.
>The
>behavior is still convenient for tests which aren't written carefully
in
>this regard.
>
>Jean-Paul

Thanks for the explanation.