[Twisted-Python] A Java protocol on Twisted?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Jan 26 08:26:19 MST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:14:48 +0100, Alessio Pace <alessio.pace at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>recently I was asked if it would be possible to plug a Java protocol in a
>Twisted-based P2P library I'm working on.
>
>Up to now this heterogenous languages integration was not a concern, but
>apparently the possibility to write an high level protocol in Java for
>external developers seem to become very important and would otherwise block
>their choice in using the library..

Can you clarify what you're after?  Does plugging in a "Java protocol" mean
that you have some .java (or .class?) files which implement a protocol and
you want to use that code in your Twisted-based application?

Or does it mean that you need to interoperate with a Java client or server
by implementing in Python the protocol that is used by that Java software?

>Could anyone, if have any experience or knowledge, let me know if this is
>possible and under which conditions? I heard infact that Jython and Twisted
>are not working together..

Twisted indeed does not work on Jython currently.  There are some efforts to
get it working there.  You may want to help out with these. :)

Jean-Paul