[Twisted-Python] New C++ implementation of Deferreds

Tom Cocagne tom.cocagne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 12:22:15 EST 2009

    The C++ library is completely independent of Python and Twisted but it
can be made to work with them. One of the initial uses of it, in fact, was
to run a Python interpreter (using Twisted) in a dedicated C++ thread and
use it to direct the actions of all the other threads in the process.

    The way I did it is this:

    1. Spawn a C++ thread to run the Python interpreter inside of. All use
of the Python C-API must be done from within this thread if you want to
avoid dealing with the Global Interpreter Lock (remember Python itself is a
single-threaded application). Other C++ threads needing to call a Python
C-API function can do so using a DeferredCommand object that wraps the call
they want to make. Hand this object to the Python thread for execution and
use the Deferred mechanism to get the answer back to the original
thread..... Basically, you turn the interpreter into one big Active Object
as per the standard design pattern.

    2. Use the Python C-API to import a Python module you wrote that will
initialize Twisted and create a pair of TCP sockets that are connected to
each other. Then use the C-API to get the OS-level file descriptor to one of
the sockets. The purpose of this is to provide a mechanism for other C++
threads to inform the Twisted reactor that there's something in the C++
world it needs to do. When one of those DeferredCommands in step one is
given to the Python thread, the last thing the delivering thread needs to do
is call a function that writes a single byte to the TCP socket. This will
cause the Twisted reactor in the Python thread to wake up from it's 'select'
call and dispatch a handler. This handler can then execute a C++ function
you registered with the C-API. Once back in the C++ world and in the context
of the Python thread,  you can dispatch any of the DeferredCommands sitting
in the thread's queue.

    I don't currently have a mechanism for tying a Twisted Deferred directly
to one of the C++ deferreds since I haven't yet found a use-case where it
makes sense to do so. It's probably possible though.

    As for using the C++ deferreds with boost's asio... I haven't used asio
yet but a quick read through the API makes it looks like an almost perfect
match for these deferreds. In fact, I'd like to eventually put this code up
for consideration by the boost community for eventually including something
like it in boost. I *highly* doubt they'd want to use the code I've written
but it might serve as a good proof-of-concept at least.

    Tom