[Twisted-Python] A Java protocol on Twisted?

Alessio Pace alessio.pace at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 04:53:30 EST 2009

Hi,

first of all sorry for my delayed answer.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:14:48 +0100, Alessio Pace <alessio.pace at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> recently I was asked if it would be possible to plug a Java protocol in a
>> Twisted-based P2P library I'm working on.
>>
>> Up to now this heterogenous languages integration was not a concern, but
>> apparently the possibility to write an high level protocol in Java for
>> external developers seem to become very important and would otherwise
>> block
>> their choice in using the library..
>>

> Can you clarify what you're after?  Does plugging in a "Java protocol" mean
> that you have some .java (or .class?) files which implement a protocol and
> you want to use that code in your Twisted-based application?
>
> Or does it mean that you need to interoperate with a Java client or server
> by implementing in Python the protocol that is used by that Java software?

Yes, this is closer to my need. There is the Python+Twisted library that
takes care of networking communication. Then on top of this people may want
to write their higher level application with their Java protocol which may
or may not have to directly use networking sockets used internally by the
Python/Twisted layer.

|  Java protocols |    | Python protocols |
         |  Python library  |
         |       twisted       |
          <-- networking -->

>  Could anyone, if have any experience or knowledge, let me know if this is
>> possible and under which conditions? I heard infact that Jython and
>> Twisted
>> are not working together..
>>

> Twisted indeed does not work on Jython currently.  There are some efforts
> get it working there.  You may want to help out with these. :)

Yes, I would like to, but it depends if I get the possibility to allocate
time on it... Unless the Java integration becomes blocking for us, we will
continue just with pure Python and Twisted.

Thanks,
Alessio Pace.