[Twisted-Python] [Q] Naming Service for Twisted Servers

Jon Parise jon at indelible.org
Sat Jan 10 17:50:35 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM, David Ripton <dripton at ripton.net> wrote:
> On 2009.01.09 23:06:46 -0500, V S P wrote:
>> What is ZeroConf?  Can you please point me to the project page
>> (I searched for some but did not find something twisted/python
>> specific).
>
> ZeroConf is the generic protocol name, not a particular project.  The
> most popular implementations are Bonjour and Avahi.  Both are portable
> and open source.  Macs ship with Bonjour.  Avahi seems more popular on
> Linux.
>
> In theory, it's pretty easy to use Avahi from Python.  Avahi is a C
> daemon that always runs and does all the network stuff.  It shares
> information with other programs via DBus.  Your Python program can
> interact with the information using dbus-python.  dbus-python features
> an asynchronous interface that should work great with Twisted.

Coincidentally, I just wrote up a short article on my experiences
playing with Twisted and Bonjour (via pybonjour).  You can read it
here:

    http://www.indelible.org/ink/twisted-bonjour/

In short, it's quite easy to wrap pybonjour's file descriptor-like
interface in an IReadDescriptor object and add it to the reactor.

--
Jon Parise (jon of indelible.org)  ::  "Scientia potentia est"