[Twisted-Python] Development Process Failure

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Mon Feb 23 14:39:04 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> One possibility is to explicitly adjust the review guidelines and direct
> reviewers always to verify that previous review points have actually been
> addressed.  What ideas do other people have?

In the Launchpad team, we replying to review mails just like usenet
posts, and there is a convention that each point raised by the
reviewer has to be addressed. When looking at someone's reply to your
review, the mail quoting makes it obvious if someone has missed a
point.

Given Trac, maybe numbering review points + being direct about the
change would make it easier to inspect replies, which must in turn
mention the numbered points. For this to work, the reviewer would have
to clearly distinguish between "I would like you to change X" and
"Looking at A inspires the though B."

Finally, Launchpad has an arrangement such that branches with over 500
lines of diff need to have their reviews arranged specially (you have
to find a reviewer who will agree to it, and we're allowed to say
"no"). Everything is easier when the diff is smaller.

jml