[Twisted-Python] thread + signal + reactor.stop problem

Reza Lotun reza at getpeer.com
Fri Feb 13 04:59:42 EST 2009

Hi Gabriel,

There's two problems from what I can see.

1) You have a method run in a thread

    def __myLoop(self):
        while True:
            self.transport.write("Thread")
            time.sleep(1)

but since it's being run in a thread, you need to schedule the call
into the reactor like so:

    def __myLoop(self):
        while True:
            reactor.callFromThread(self.transport.write, "Thread")
            time.sleep(1)

2) Your loop in that thread will run forever no matter what. It isn't
a daemon thread so there needs to be some sort of stopping criterion
(there's no way to kill Python threads externally):

    def __myLoop(self):
        while self.factory.running:
            reactor.callFromThread(self.transport.write, "Thread")
            time.sleep(1)

By setting an attribute on the factory in the __init__ called
'running' to True, then in the signal handler code we can set it to
False, providing a quick and dirty way to bail out of that thread.

I made the modifications and sending a cntrl-C made the program exit just fine.

Cheers,
Reza