[Twisted-Python] zope.interface

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Mon Dec 14 05:12:26 MST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:48:48AM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Jared Gisin wrote:
> > Is there a good document that explains why zope.interface is necessary
> > to the twisted project?
>
> A counter-question: Is there a good document that explains why people
> care? It's just another dependency isn't it?

Trying to remember back to when I was a Twisted newbie, I seem to
recall a pang of dismay at seeing the word "zope", until I realised that
zope.interface was very small and self-contained and didn't have further
dependencies on the rest of Zope.

Another possibility might be that the worry comes from people using
systems that don't have good built-in dependency management. I don't
know where pip/easy_install are at these days, but Debian's apt and
Fedora's yum have numbed the painful memories of downloading some
interesting code off the 'net and discovering yet further dependencies
I would have to track down and install to get things working.

I'm not saying these are well-researched or compelling reasons, just
speculating about what might be going on.

It occurs to me that recent discussions about splitting Deferreds off
into their own library might consider zope.interface as a model. Has it
prospered, as separate library? Does anyone besides Zope and Twisted use
it? I don't know, but it might be worth finding out.

Tim.