[Twisted-Python] web vs web2 clarification

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Dec 10 11:03:39 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Jared Gisin <jared.gisin at isilon.com> wrote:
> I’m curious if anyone can shed some light on the  following sentence which
> is taken from “http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/WebDevelopmentWithTwisted”
>
> “We decided this was a mistake and development focus has shifted to porting
> the best parts of Twisted Web 2 back to Twisted Web where existing
> applications will benefit from them.”
>
> I’m curious as to why twisted web2 was a mistake what is  the fundamental
> difference between web and web2?

While Jean-Paul got the general idea, I think you were asking about
something a little more specific, and I hope to address that:

There were many differences between web and web2; a lot of the APIs
were better, and some weren't. However, the quoted sentence was not
referring to the quality of the APIs and their technical merits so
much as the fact that they were completely incompatible with
twisted.web. This is where Jean-Paul's answer comes in.

Hope this helps,

--
Christopher Armstrong
http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/