[Twisted-Python] Deferred on PyPI

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Dec 9 08:54:15 MST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 3:27 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> but my agreement is contingent upon the theoretical existence of things like "a good package manager for Python" and "installation instructions on our website which clearly explain how to install dependencies in a context-sensitive manner" (i.e. depending on your platform).
>
> I'm with you on the installation instructions. Why this should block
> on a good package manager for Python?

Perhaps this requirement is over-broad.  My concern is the users who already complain "why do I need zope" when installing Twisted, and then can't seem to get ZI installed even when the distinction is explained.  If, as Jean-Paul suggests, the "deferred" package were included with the Twisted release *and* silently importable / installable, this concern would be addressed.

However, there are other issues: the deferred package would need to be governed by a compatibility policy as strict as Twisted's (or stricter, actually, given its rather central nature).  I wouldn't feel comfortable without an equally strenuous review process.  Its test suite would have to be run on our buildbots, or on a more comprehensive fleet of its own.  It would need to come packaged with its own documentation, which implies that something like Kevin Horn's proposed sphinx migration would be completed first.  And we'd need to migrate all the open tickets affecting Deferred and Failure to a new tracker.

It seems like this annoying procedural stuff could be deferred (ha ha) until after figuring out the technical problems (for example: coming up with a system of hooks so that it can be integrated with trial without directly depending on Twisted logging) if the work to modify the code itself were done in a Twisted subversion branch first; that way we could still schedule buildbot builds and close existing tickets against Deferred without blocking on schlepping a bunch of infrastructure into a new repository.  If Mikeal needs commit access in order to help I'm sure that could be arranged.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of stuff.  I've tried to be as comprehensive as possible in this message so as not to continue to throw up new, surprising roadblocks as the work goes along.