[Twisted-Python] Some news about currently-pending code-reviews

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Sun Dec 27 21:52:54 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 09:41:11AM -0500, Gerrat Rickert wrote:
> [snip]
> >http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3956
> >Add arraysize option to runQuery in adbapi
>
> Well, as the guy who initiated this ticket, I'm certainly using
> adbapi.ConnectionPool with cx_Oracle.  I'm not currently using any
> placeholders named "arraysize" or "cp_arraysize".

But you are using the keyword-parameters-as-query-parameters extension
that cx_Oracle provides?

> This kind of informal poll *might* help us "rule out" using these (if
> someone says they're currently using them) - but it won't be very
> definitive; and this change will still technically be
> backwards-incompatible.  Perhaps the only reasonable
> backwards-compatible change that could be made would be adding either
> an attribute or method to the ConnectionPool to set the arraysize.

I think the two positions here would be:

 a: adbapi.ConnectionPool is designed to wrap DBAPI2 modules; keyword
    parameters to cursor.execute() are not allowed in DBAPI2; therefore
    adbapi.ConnectionPool can use keyword parameters for itself.
 b: adbapi.ConnectionPool has never really enforced DBAPI2 compliance,
    so people have been using it with all kinds of crazy DBAPI2
    extensions and we should allow people to keep doing so as much as
    possible.

My cunning plan (which has somewhat backfired) was that one of these
alternatives would seem sane, and one would seem ridiculous, and once
the mailing list decided which was which I could go back to the ticket
with that decision.

The way things are at the moment, I'm leaning towards (b), but I believe
the developer who's worked on the patch leans towards (a) and I don't
feel I have the authority to demand a change of approach. I left the
ticket awaiting review, in the hope that somebody with more authority or
firmer opinions would come along to review it (it's a pretty small
change!), but the ticket's been sitting there for weeks now - I felt
I needed to do something more drastic to help it make progress.