[Twisted-Python] web vs web2 clarification

Mikhail Terekhov termim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:21:22 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> Web2 was a sort of from scratch rewrite.  I don't usual defer to Joel,
> but his article is the first hit for the phrase "from scratch rewrite"
> and he basically gets it right:
>
>  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

Just some unrelated rant about Joel&Co :

Joel talks about big _commercial_ projects and _commercial_ failures.
May be he is right here, may be not. But it is this rewrite from scratch that
gave birth to Mozilla - number one web/email suite till now. Isn't it a
success? Another successful open source examples are Apache and
Subversion. And what about CVS that couldn't/refused rewrite from
scratch and peacefully evolves adding features little by little? Can it
catch up with svn/git/bzr/hg? I doubt so. CVS's example in fact says that
if you refuse to do it then someone else will do and will replace you.
May be it is open source that makes it different, may be people think
more about fun and beauty than about money in this case?
It is not so simple and Joel's hypothesis is far from being 100% true IMHO.
In the end a lot of people know/use Borland's, Netscape's and Microsoft's
software but how many know/use Joel's? ;)

Regards,
--
Mikhail Terekhov