[Twisted-Python] Lore to Sphinx Conversion Progress Report

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 01:29:43 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM, <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On 2 Dec, 11:04 pm, kevin.horn at gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >>[1] http://twistedsphinx.funsize.net/proposal.html
> >>[2] http://twistedsphinx.funsize.net/index.html
> >

> >Any of the core Twisted devs care to sound of regarding the proposed
> >timelines?
> >
> >Silence implies consent.  Or in this case approval... :)
>
> Timeline might not be the right word, since as far as I can tell there's
> little that's actually about time there. :)  Let me know if I overlooked
> something.

Well, "timeline" was the word Glyph used previously for "order in which
stuff will be done".
So that's what I stuck with.

> As far as the (I'm going to call it) roadmap goes, the thought that's
> pushed its way to the fore for me is that I'd like to try this with
> something smaller and simpler than Twisted first.  It would be nice if
> the Divmod projects would qualify here, but they may not be active
> enough for any real experience to accumulate.

I haven't run my lore2sphinx script against the Divmod stuff yet, but I
could certainly try it.
The intention is to convert the Divmod stuff as well as the Twisted stuff
eventually though.

I've been concentrating on the Twisted docs, since they seemed the highest
priority, but I
could detour a bit if you like.  Obviously that would slow progress on the
Twisted stuff a little.

> pyOpenSSL might work.  It uses the original CPython tex documentation
> system, so the conversion would (presumably) be done with whatever tools
> were used for CPython's own documentation, not the new Lore->Sphinx
> converter.  It would still be a useful way to get more familiar with
> Sphinx, though.  The downside is that I'm pretty much the only Twisted
> developer who works on pyOpenSSL, so it wouldn't help anyone else get
> any experience.

I have no idea what tools were originally used for that conversion.  Might
be interesting to try if we could find out though. Also, I presume we'd need
the sources for the docs.  Are they in the tarball?  Or elsewhere?

Of course if your objective is to learn Sphinx, you might be better off
converting the pyOpenSSL docs by hand.  They seem pretty short (except for
section 3).

If you'd like to try that, I'd be happy to assist.