[Twisted-Python] Some way for Trial to allow selective running of tests?

Don Dwiggins ddwiggins at advpubtech.com
Fri Aug 28 09:39:44 MDT 2009

Tim Allen wrote:
> If you ran python in the same directory where you ran "trial" in your
> example, you could say:
>
>     import MyServerTestFile
>     MyServerTestFile.MyServerTestCase.test_my_server
>
> ...to refer to a particular test method, and trial will accept the same
> syntax:
>
>     trial MyServerTestFile.MyServerTestCase.test_my_server

That's progress; thanks!  It gives me a choice of running either all
tests in a particular class, or one test.  I could probably cobble up a
shell or python script to wrap around it and allow me to run a list of
"specs"; it'll be better than all the "foo"ing I've been doing. 8^)

A quick thought: maybe I could use decorators on test methods to apply
"tags" to my tests, then write a script to run all tests with a given
tag; this might be even handier.

> In general though, a lot of distribution and packaging and deployment
> things become easier if your project is laid out in Python packages. I
> usually follow these rules and everything turns out pretty well:
>
>     http://jcalderone.livejournal.com/39794.html

Good advice, if you're distributing a python library.  In my case, the
end result is an installer that creates a single .exe (a Windows
service; frozen with py2exe) and a config.ini file.  For me, there's no
particular value in creating a package hierarchy just for testing.
(With one possible exception: I may want to create a multi-level
hierarchy of tests, rather than just the fixed file/class/method
structure that unittest/trial gives you.

--
Don Dwiggins
Advanced Publishing Technology