[Twisted-Python] Twisted, wxPython & Mac OS X 10.5 freezes

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Sun Aug 23 14:40:11 MDT 2009

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Gabriel Rossetti
> <gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com <mailto:gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have written an application using Twisted, WX and I wanted to
>     test it
>     under Mac. I have successfully used it on linux and windows
>     before. When
>     I run it, I often get the pinwheel of death and then the whole OS
>     locks
>     up, even SSH no longer accepts connections, I have to hard reboot it.
>     Has anyone ever witnessed this? Does anyone know/have an idea of what
>     could cause this? I was wondering if it is not the twisted + wx
>     integration that could cause this.
>

> Without more detail it's impossible to say, but my guess would be "no".
>
> MacOS X is a preemptively multitasking, multi-user OS.  The worst that
> Twisted and WX should be able to do, even maliciously, is to freeze
> the display for a single user.  The worst that a bug should reasonably
> cause is to lock up the UI for a single process.
>
> You might have discovered a bug in MacOS X, and you should take it up
> with Apple.  Alternately, your Mac hardware might be broken, and
> Twisted is interacting with its problems.  If you'd like any further
> help here, though, a complete example program would be useful to
> anyone trying to help you.

Hmm, well that is what I though but it really freezes up good. I changed
my way of using wx & twisted, opted into using the normal reactor and
having wx's mainloop in a seperate thread, this seams to work great on
other platforms. I still get the lockup on Mac though but I think it's
comming from my using pyserial on a bluetooth device. I have to
investigate more but it's a bit hard too as I don't know how to provoke
the lockup and I can't debug it once it does. I think it has nothing to
do with wx nor twisted though. I will test it on other mac hardware and
software asap. Thanks for your advice,

Gabriel