[Twisted-Python] Twisted, wxPython & Mac OS X 10.5 freezes

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Aug 12 10:02:54 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Gabriel Rossetti <
gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com> wrote:

> I have written an application using Twisted, WX and I wanted to test it
> under Mac. I have successfully used it on linux and windows before. When
> I run it, I often get the pinwheel of death and then the whole OS locks
> up, even SSH no longer accepts connections, I have to hard reboot it.
> Has anyone ever witnessed this? Does anyone know/have an idea of what
> could cause this? I was wondering if it is not the twisted + wx
> integration that could cause this.

Without more detail it's impossible to say, but my guess would be "no".

MacOS X is a preemptively multitasking, multi-user OS.  The worst that
Twisted and WX should be able to do, even maliciously, is to freeze the
display for a single user.  The worst that a bug should reasonably cause is
to lock up the UI for a single process.

You might have discovered a bug in MacOS X, and you should take it up with
Apple.  Alternately, your Mac hardware might be broken, and Twisted is
interacting with its problems.  If you'd like any further help here, though,
a complete example program would be useful to anyone trying to help you.