[Twisted-Python] misleading error in twisted.enterprise.adbapi

Alec Matusis matusis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 17:31:12 EDT 2009

We are using twisted.enterprise.adbapi for connecting to MySQL.
In one of our large tables, the primary key reached its maximum value of
2147483647, and INSERTs became impossible.

When I executed the same INSERT from mysql command line manually, it gave:

ERROR 1062 (23000): Duplicate entry '2147483647' for key 1

In twisted logs however, for the same INSERT the error was much less
specific:

2014, "Commands out of sync; you can't run this command now"

I am concerned about this, since this 2014 error has appeared before in the
twisted logs, in many completely different contexts. Can you shed any light
on why we do not get the specific 1062 error, and what this 2014, "Commands
out of sync; you can't run this command now" is about?