[Twisted-Python] deciding to use twisted or not

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Aug 26 22:08:48 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Cary Hull <cary.hull at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would certainly be nice if Twisted supported async file io, but in this
> case wouldn't a ProcessProtocol around 'tail -f' be a good solution as well?

That could work, but there are a few potential issues.  'tail' does slightly
different stuff on different platforms.  Maybe you're on Windows and it
isn't available.  Maybe it mangles your output (I know that some coreutils
tools try to be encoding-aware, I don't know if 'tail' is one).  Maybe you
want to get blocks of bytes off the end rather than lines, etc.  Then you
also need to worry about housekeeping for a subprocess, which always turns
out to be a little trickier than you first expect.