[Twisted-Python] Twistd .tac + wxpython

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Aug 20 13:29:42 EDT 2009

Hi Gabriel,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Gabriel Rossetti <
gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com> wrote:

> I thought
> of maybe putting the wx mainloop in a thread and using the standard
> reactor but I don't know how well this works or even if it's possible.

If you've already got all the appropriate code to separate out the GUI into
a separate thread and communicate with the networking components via message
queues, then this should work just fine.  Normally I'd suspect wx (which I
find to be a highly idiosyncratic, buggy, and arbitrarily limited library:
have you considered using something else for your GUI?) might have some
difficulties that I'm not aware of, but I'm pretty sure several other
Twisted users have already done this exact type of integration.

Personally, regardless of UI toolkit, in this situation I'd have the server
start up with a "normal" reactor (select, poll, epoll, kqueue: take your
pick) and have it spawn a separate GUI process with the GUI reactor, and
communicate via a socket.  That way the GUI can be shut down and restarted
without killing the back-end, and the back-end could be moved to a different
machine.  But I don't know a lot about your application and there may be
some requirements I'm not aware of :).