[Twisted-Python] Re: Transparent pooling of deferreds to be fired upon another

Terry Jones terry at jon.es
Thu Apr 23 10:54:12 MDT 2009

Hi Andrew

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> writes:
Andrew> Why can't you have the callbacks attached to the deferred, share a flag?

Andrew> global flag

Andrew> def callback(....):
Andrew>   global flag
Andrew>   if flag == False:
Andrew>     flag = True
Andrew>     # do body of function
Andrew>   else:
Andrew>     # don't do anything - flag have been previously fired

Andrew> If I understand what is happening, this should work because of the
Andrew> non-preemptive nature of the reactor, that is you ought not get a
Andrew> race condition.

I'm not sure if I fully understand you.

  1. If your callback above is the thing that does the work (i.e., my
     alertSupervisor function), then yes, you could use a flag to make sure
     the work is only done one.

  2. If your callback really is a callback :-) then this doesn't seem to
     address what I was after. It would stop the same piece of code in the
     same file from doing something twice.

In the case of 1, I don't get what I want because I want various pieces of
code to be able to call the deferred-returning method and each of them to
get a valid deferred back, which fires as usual.  I also don't get to call
the function and then call it again later, because the flag is one-shot.
I'm trying to deal with identical calls that happen more-or-less at the
same time.

In the case of 2, this is also not what I was after. I want, for example,
code running in a different process or on a different box to be able to
make the call (via RPC), get a deferred, etc. So a client-side solution
isn't going to work.

Or maybe you meant something else?

Sorry - I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post, and thanks for
the suggestion.

Terry