[Twisted-Python] official packaging

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Thu Apr 2 10:04:11 EDT 2009

On 2009.04.02 14:21:14 +1100, Tim Allen wrote:
> Esteve Fernandez <esteve at sindominio.net> wrote:
> > Anyway, it would be great to have recent packages of Twisted for distributions
> > that offer some kind of long term support contracts (Ubuntu, RHEL, etc.), but
> > that tend to get a bit outdated.
>
> It's worth mentioning that someone has recently stepped up to fix
> ticket 1696 after I'd ignored it for Far Too Long, and very soon it
> should be possible to build Twisted RPMs for RHEL just by running
> "./setup.py bdist_rpm" in a fresh checkout.

Thanks Tim.  I make RHEL5 rpms for Twisted at work, using "setup.py
bdist_rpm" rather than a manually generated spec file.  I thought we
were just about the only ones who cared about this, so I've never really
tried to push the (small) changes upstream.  But when your changes land
I'll test that they work for us too.

An issue with pushing this kind of change to RPM-based distros is that
writing .spec files by hand and maintaining them is their core
competency, so they mostly think using setup.py bdist_rpm to
autogenerate them is weird and unnecessary and wrong.

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net