[Twisted-Python] Deferreds vs sys.getrecursionlimit()

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat Nov 15 16:26:24 MST 2008

On 04:35 pm, tarjei at nu.no wrote:
>Your writeup is a very clear entry into the "Twisted documenter of the
>year award". IMHO the whole writeup should be added to the Twisted
>documentation right away.

While this is an excellent writeup of a problem, and Brian definitely
deserves much praise for doing it with such thoroughness and depth, I
don't think we should do that ;).

I've reopened an old ticket about this problem which was closed because
the specific proposed fix didn't really work.

Ideally, Deferred just shouldn't have this problem.  If we can't
eliminate the problem entirely, then we can at least add a more useful
error message which can explain how you can start debugging.

The ticket in question (and my comment on it) is here:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/411#comment:12

If you'd like to add a link from the FAQ, or some other more informal
resource, please feel free.  However, this is not something that we
should have permanently enshrined as official documentation.  It's an
unfortunate workaround for a problem which should really just be fixed.