[Twisted-Python] Released Ampoule - 0.1

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 18:43:55 EST 2008

Here we go with Ampoule 0.1, the first beta release after 5 alphas.
Featuring
this release is simply support for a timeout time to avoid having all
processes
in the pool stuck on some commands.

Unfortunately today PyPI is a bit broken and I can't upload the
release there yet,
however it's available on launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/ampoule/ampoule/0.1

Right now my launchpad issue tracker is empty, which means that I've now
implemented all the features that I was originally  looking for in a
process pool.
Now the ball is in your hands dear users! :). Give me features to
implement and
I'll be glad to work on them.

For the bunch of you worried about maturity of the project: it's
obviously very young
but at adroll.com we are using it in production systems, specifically
to drive a pool
of gtkWebKit processes that take screenshots of web pages. In my view
this is one
of the worst cases for worker processes because web sites leak like
hell, so far it's
been working flawlessly for over a week. Maybe soon we'll release also
that project
as open source.

So, have fun using it. Below a more detailed changeset.

This release was sponsored by Super Happy Dev House ;P.
Ampoule 0.1 (2008-11-15)
==========================

Changes
--------

   - Fixed bug #276841: Add timeout for subprocess calls.
      The ProcessPool constructor now supports an additional timeout
      argument that specifies a pool level timeout, in seconds, before
      which every call ever made should return. Alternatively there is
      also a per-call mechanism. Currently this second per-call system
      is not available when using the remote pool service, so be sure
      to set the timeout command line parameter at an high enough level
      to satisfy all the possible commands. If a command doesn't require
      an answer the timeout doesn't apply, of course.

      The error returned when a call is timedout is
'error.ProcessTerminated'.
      On *nix systems the process is terminated with signal 9, on
windows
      ampoule uses SIGTERM and returns error code 255.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running MacOS X 10.5