[Twisted-Python] [ANN] Twisted 8.0

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Mar 26 19:26:11 MDT 2008

http://twistedmatrix.com/

MASSACHUSETTS (DP) -- Version 8.0 of the Twisted networking framework
has been released, Twisted Matrix Laboratories announced Wednesday.

Enslaved by his new robotic overloads, Master of the Release
Christopher Armstrong presented the new package to the Internet on
March 26th. Armstrong was unable to comment, because of a device worn
around his neck preventing him from doing so, scientists say.

Secretary of Defense Jean-Paul Calderone was asked about concerns that
French interference may have played a role in the delay of this
release. "I find such speculation preposterous. Thomas Hervé is an
upstanding member of the Labs and his loyalties lie with us. He is a
fine addition to our team."  Rumors in the community allege that
Secretary Calderone is holding Hervé's cat ransom until the release is
successfully distributed. Hervé was unavailable for comment.

This release comes shortly after the announcement by Chief of Public
Affairs Duncan McGreggor that Twisted had joined the Software Freedom
Conservancy. "We're happy to join the SFC, and we are now accepting
sponsorship. The fact that we are now ruled by a cabal of robots
should not put off potential donors. Our robotic overlords are running
us at peak efficiency, so we can most effectively distribute The
Love."

Asked about the version number jump in this release,
Commander-in-Chief Glyph Lefkowitz had the following to say: "Our
benefactors have found our previous dice-rolling version number scheme
to be inadequate, and have deigned to propose to us a more... logical
system of versioning."

=====

Twisted is an event-based framework for Internet applications which
works on Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5. It can be downloaded from

http://twistedmatrix.com/

Twisted 8.0 is a major feature release, with several new features and
a great number of bug fixes. Some of the highlights follow.

 - The IOCP reactor is now much improved and many bugs have been resolved.
 - Twisted is now easy_installable.
 - Many improvements were made to Trial, Twisted's unit testing system.
 - A new memcache client protocol implementation was added.
 - So much more[1]!

To see the full list of changes in its fifteen kilobytes of glory, see
the release notes[1]. We welcome you to download and enjoy, and please
file any bugs you find[2] and send comments to the mailing list[3].

Why the large version number bump? We've decided to switch to a
time-based versioning scheme. "8.0" means the first release in 2008.

[1] http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags/releases/twisted-8.0.1/NEWS?format=raw
[2] Register: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/register New ticket:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/newticket

Thanks!