[Twisted-Python] Re: 8.0.0pre2

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Mar 23 13:26:54 MDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Christopher Armstrong
<radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I just put out another pre-release of Twisted 8. Compared to
>  the last pre-release, this one comes with greatly improved IOCP
>  reactor and easy_installability. It's not registered on PyPI yet, but
>  you can test it by easy_installing the tarball directly. Only the main
>  Twisted tarball is easy_installable, not the subprojects.
>
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix/DIST/

We've found a bug which prevents easy_installing from the main
Twisted-8.0.0pre2.tar.bz2 file if you're using Python 2.4. This is
because of a bug in the tarfile module, which easy_install uses to
extract tar files. It seems to be related to long paths inside the tar
file. Any time the toplevel directory entry is 17 bytes long, this
behavior is invoked, and that's how long "Twisted-8.0.0pre2" is. It's
probably related to this bug: http://bugs.python.org/issue1484695,
especially the comment 50215.

I know, it's like a sick joke. But anyway, you should be able to
easy_install with python 2.5. By accident, when we actually release
the final version, it will be possible to install because the paths in
the tar file will be realigned to avoid the bug (I've tested this, but
obviously we can't keep guaranteeing this in the future; hopefully
python2.4 will have a new release with this bugfix backported).

--
Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery