[Twisted-Python] Re: Teach Me Twisted Redux

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Thu Mar 20 19:06:23 MDT 2008

On 20 Mar, 06:08 pm, lists at sourceillustrated.com wrote:
>So, I bought the Oreilly book and Python in a Nutshell. I've made it
>through the Nutshell book (I spent 3 months doing python back in 2003,
>so it's not completely new to me). My next steps include the book
>first and online docs second...but now am I to understand that both
>are useless? Should I just dive into the code instead?

No, absolutely not.

We have a useful FAQ and some useful tutorial documents.  For example,
Moshe Zadka's "finger" tutorial (while not perfect) is an excellent
example of how to use Twisted, and its multi-layered approach:

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/tutorial/index.html

This is the first google hit for "twisted tutorial".

The first google hit for "writing servers", by the way:

  http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/servers.html

is a great low-level introduction to Twisted's core concepts.

Of course, like any large project, the documentation for different parts
of Twisted is going to vary a lot.  But it would be a gross
overstatement to say there's no documentation or that it's completely
useless.