[Twisted-Python] helping out

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Wed Mar 19 02:56:57 MDT 2008

On 04:11 am, dave at krondo.com wrote:
>Hello all, it was great to meet so many of you in person at Pycon,
>I only wish I had come to an earlier one!
>
>I'm glad I was able to plug Twisted at Pycon. I do need to set the
>record straight, as I only realized today that I got a bit confused
>in my numbers. During my plug, I mentioned one of our twisted servers
>had served 100 billion queries. I'm afraid it was actually 1 billion,

Aw man, *only* a billion? ;-)
>not one hundred. I think I was conflating it with another metric we
>were touting from our booth for recruiting purposes. Either that, or
>I'm just a nitwit :) Sorry for the mistake, once they get past a
>certain number of zeroes, I kind of lose track.

It was, nevertheless, a dramatic mistake.  The point still holds.
>The bottom line was, we were really impressed with Twisted's ability
>to make making robust servers easy.

Thanks.
>I'm going to try to help out with twisted.enterprise some more.
>I think the most pressing issue there is the need to deprecate most
>everything outside of adbapi? Anyway, I'll start reading up on the
>new development model and hop on irc pretty soon.

I'm pretty sure there are also some edge-cases that aren't handled
completely correctly in adbapi, although clearly they don't affect
production systems terribly much :).  Just have a look through the
bugtracker for enterprise issues.

And, thanks a _lot_.  Even with the resources the foundation will be
providing us, we're still going to have a shortage of qualified helpers
:).