[Twisted-Python] regarding xml elements

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Mar 28 18:59:21 EDT 2008

On 02:55 pm, exarkun at divmod.com wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:51:10 -0400, Phil Christensen
><phil at bubblehouse.org> wrote:

>>If it's so bad that you'd tell someone not to use it, why isn't it
>>deprecated?

>Because it would take a lot of work to deprecate, and there are a lot
>of
>other things people are working on that are deemed more important.

Also because there isn't a complete consensus on how terrible it is.  If
you are doing advanced XML processing, it definitely isn't the best
choice, because it's missing a bunch of features and it has some
idiosyncratic behavior.  However, it is conveniently available without
adding another dependency and it supports simple use-cases OK; this is
still a problem with other XML libraries in Python, especially DOM
libraries.  (For example, incompatibilities between the various lxml
implementations.)

I, personally, don't think it should be deprecated, even if it shouldn't
be particularly strongly recommended, either.