[Twisted-Python] win32 reactors

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Mar 28 18:49:11 EDT 2008

On 01:39 pm, itamar at itamarst.org wrote:

>On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 06:23 +0000, James Mansion wrote:
>>Shouldn't broken Win32 implementations be 'retired'?

These implementations aren't "broken", so much as "limited".

Please feel free to contribute patches which reduce these limitations.
>The old I/O Completion Ports reactor (which should be most scalable
>Win32 reactor) was somewhat buggy. Twisted 8.0, released this week, has
>a complete rewrite that hopefully is a lot better.

It still doesn't support SSL, though:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/593

and maybe some other features too (I don't have a Windows handy or the
time required to read the code to check - this really ought to be
better-documented).

The select reactor is also convenient for testing on Windows, because
it's the basis of at least one GUI reactor (GTK+) which should also
support Win32.

Your suggestion for handle buckets in the win32eventreactor is one which
has been suggested before and sounds good to me.  Nobody has bothered to
implement it yet :).  However, even in its absence, I don't believe
we'll be completely dropping win32eventreactor because it is useful for
integrating with programs that do win32 drawing, even if iocpreactor has
higher performance and is more scalable.