[Twisted-Python] Re: Teach Me Twisted Redux

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Mar 21 08:05:43 EDT 2008

Phil Mayers wrote:
[...]
>> Also, I think the proof is in the pudding.  Most people who really
>> need Twisted for their projects _are_ in fact able to learn it (for
>> the most part without reading the source code).  The documentation
>> can't be that bad.  Doesn't mean there is not room for improvement
>> though.
>
> I totally agree with that. I'm a reasonably bright chap, but I'm not
> Einstein. I get Twisted, and I got it quickly enough and well enough to
> (I think) do some pretty damn sophisticated things.

It *has& improved a lot.

> (I did have the benefit of having already tried a threaded approach and
> seen how disastrous it was...)

I've actually used threads to send emails in parallel (200-500 at a
time), but if I'd known how to use Twisted it would almost certainly
have been easier to get running and debug.

I'm probably one of those people who will shy away from something that
isn't immediately approachable. Perhaps all that's really needed is a
ring of newbie-friendly stuff to make sense of the existing documentation?

That, and a re-write of certain head-twisting paragraphs ...

regards
  Steve