[Twisted-Python] Re: Teach Me Twisted Redux

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 21 07:47:22 EDT 2008

>>  One of the biggest (glaring?) issues with Twisted is the abysmal state
>>  of the documentation (none) making the code the best source... and
>>  history is replete with the massive successes that approach has borne...
>
> I disagree with this evaluation. ...

Likewise.

> Asynchronous networking is simply hard.  And Twisted has a very
> sophisticated take on it.  Saying the problem is the documentation is
> like someone saying "quantum mechanics is poorly documented...all that
> talk about Hilbert spaces, eigenstates and superposition..."  It is
> not poorly documented, it is simply hard and conceptually challenging.
>
> Also, I think the proof is in the pudding.  Most people who really
> need Twisted for their projects _are_ in fact able to learn it (for
> the most part without reading the source code).  The documentation
> can't be that bad.  Doesn't mean there is not room for improvement
> though.

I totally agree with that. I'm a reasonably bright chap, but I'm not
Einstein. I get Twisted, and I got it quickly enough and well enough to
(I think) do some pretty damn sophisticated things.

(I did have the benefit of having already tried a threaded approach and
seen how disastrous it was...)