[Twisted-Python] Re: Teach Me Twisted Redux

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 20 14:31:53 EDT 2008

Drew Smathers wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Glenn H Tarbox, PhD <glenn at tarbox.org> wrote:
>>
>>  On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 07:33 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:
>>
>>> glyph at divmod.com wrote:
>>  > As I believe I mentioned early on, one of the issues is that the Twisted
>>  > core developers are so smart (I believe I may have used the phrase
>>  > "brains the size of planets"), and so knowledgeable about Twisted, that
>>  > it's difficult sometimes to get a 90% answer out of them. This was
>>  > particularly the case with Itamar, whom I lambasted quite mercilessly
>>  > (and whom I therefore owe a public apology: sorry, Itamar) when he tried
>>  > to complete all the corner cases after a slightly inaccurate statement
>>  > on my part that was perfectly good enough for a learner.
>>
>>  There is a great deal of anecdotal evidence that great players make poor
>>  coaches.
>>
>>  One of the biggest (glaring?) issues with Twisted is the abysmal state
>>  of the documentation (none) making the code the best source... and
>>  history is replete with the massive successes that approach has borne...

Just let me interject here that I believe the attributions above make it
look like *I* wrote the above. It doesn't align with my understanding of
Twisted's documentation, which in my assessment has improved immensely
over five years.

Sure enough, Glenn H Tarbox was the perpetrator: throw your rotten fruit
at him, not me. I'm a *friend* of Twisted, for Pete's sake.

regards
  Steve