[Twisted-Python] twisted.protocols.telnet is deprecated. But how should I migrate?

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Sat Jun 7 12:24:32 MDT 2008

Long time ago I wrote some code using twisted.protocols.telnet.Telnet.
Now I get:

   DeprecationWarning: As of Twisted 2.1, twisted.protocols.telnet is
   deprecated.  See twisted.conch.telnet for the current, supported
   API.

The problem is ... I do not know how to migrate. Bare substitution
of twisted.conch.telnet instead of twisted.protocols.telnet does not
work (my code, which subclassed Telnet and provided welcomeMessage,
checkUserAndPass, and loggedIn, simply is not called).

I checked for docs, but twisted.conch has only some docs about SSH
clients, and by looking only at the code I can't figure what should I
do. I suspect that I should use AuthenticatingTelnetProtocol but I do
not understand how should I do it (what is this portal, why should
I return some other protocol).

I grepped through all examples for this class, but found nothing.

So: how should one migrate twisted.telnet.Telnet to
twisted.conch.telnet? Does there exist any example of simple telnet
server?