[Twisted-Python] IPv6 support in Python Twisted

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Jun 24 15:09:46 EDT 2008

On 02:49 pm, dripton at ripton.net wrote:
>On 2008.06.24 15:09:07 +0200, Cedric Delfosse wrote:
>>I'm wondering what is the current status of IPv6 support in the
>>Twisted
>>framework. I only found this ipv6.py file there:
>>http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/sandbox/exarkun/ipv6.py
>>
>>Is IPv6 support scheduled in Twisted roadmap ?
>
>I don't think so.

The twisted roadmap is currently the ticket tracker. There's a ticket.
Therefore, yes it is ;).
>See http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3014
>
>The code that's there basically works (TCP only; I didn't tackle UDP
>yet).  It hasn't been merged into trunk.

It's important to note that this ticket is in a state where progress is
not being made.  For some reason, dripton's patch was not reviewed,
instead therve put it into a branch and never put it up for review
again.  I guess some of the comments since then might be construed as
review feedback, but they look pretty informal (mine certainly weren't
intended to be that way).

If someone wants this to get merged, there should be another attempt at
putting it into review again.
>Changing Twisted to support IPv6 is not that hard.  The hard part is
>doing so without breaking backward compatibility or making public APIs
>uglier.

For what it's worth, connectTCP6 satisfies the compatibility
requirements, it's just unfortunately ugly.  Looking at it now, maybe
that's unavoidable because IPv6 itself is unfortunately ugly.
("flowinfo"?  "scopeid"?)  Ugly is unfortunate, but it wins over
breaking compatibility, which is just not allowed.

Anyway, please feel free to attach further comments to the ticket.  In
particular it'd be nice if someone could answer my question about
automatic failover being undesirable :).