[Twisted-Python] Twisted service kit

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:26:14 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Phil Christensen <phil at bubblehouse.org>
wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Johan Euphrosine wrote:
>
>> As part of a freelance job, I'm asked to glue twisted with other
>> technologies together as a proof of concept of what be done (and how),
>> in the context of a service communicating with C++ games.
>>
>> As it may be useful to someone else, I'm pushing the source here:
>> http://proppy.aminche.com/hg/service-test/
>>
> [snip]
>
>> I wonder if it is worth contributing on its own, to the newly created TX
>> project.
>>
>> Maybe some parts of it could be extracted, and made into a more
>> submittable (and useful) shape.
>>

> The great thing about the Twisted Community Code project is that you don't
> need any particular approval from anyone to add your code. If you think what
> you have might be of use to someone, whether it's for production use or just
> as a learning tool, you should consider creating a TX subproject.
>
> There are other options as well. If you feel your code doesn't warrant the
> overhead of a full project (e.g., you don't see yourself having time to
> respond to bug requests or create blueprints, etc.), you should be able to
> create a personal Bazaar branch to store your code in, which you can then
> assign to the TX superproject.
>
> This probably won't get as many eyeballs, since it won't be on the
> subproject list, but it's a good way to get your code out there in an easily
> accessible place. Plus, given the nature of Bazaar, anyone who wishes will
> be able to work with your code in their own branch.
>
> -phil

BTW, Phil, are there any established guidelines/conventions for the "TX"
packages other than "start your project name with a 'tx'"?

Any suggestions or guidelines on how such packages should leverage
setuptools, stuff like that?

I think it would be very useful to have all of these packages install in a
similar fashion, though of course, it wouldn't be practical (or advisable)
to try and enforce this in any way.  But I do think it would be good to have
a set of guidelines posted someplace saying "here is the recommended way to
set up a TX package".

Kevin Horn