[Twisted-Python] suggestions for naming to help us preserve a Twisted trademark

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:51:04 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Duncan McGreggor
<duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
>> On 12:14 am, duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Man, I think you totally hit it on the nose with your "tx" suggestion:
>>> tx.snmp, tx.storage. I maintain the Twisted-JSONRPC package, and I
>>> will change the namespace from twisted.web.jsonrpc to tx.jsonrpc. Not
>>> only does it have a cool sound, entails "TwistedmatriX", is associated
>>> with "transmit", but it could also stand for "Twisted eXtensions" (in
>>> the "add on" sense).
>>
>> Thanks for the encouragement :) but a minor point: I think it's important
>> that these packages use 'py' in the same way most projects do, since sharing
>> namespaces in Python is such a pain.  i.e. in pygame you do 'import pygame',
>> in pygtk you do 'import gtk'.  The existence of the separate 'py' library /
>> namespace complicates matters somewhat, but that's a single entity that has
>> nothing to do with 99% of the PyFoo projects out there.
>
> Hrm. I really like the idea of the community sharing a namespace. But
> maybe that's just my software hippy/commune side coming out...
>
>> So these names would be 'txjsonrpc', 'txsnmp', 'txstorage', et. al.
>
> As a name, I don't know what appeals to me more... txJSONRPC,
> TxJSONRPC, txjsonrpc. As a namespace, I really do like tx.jsonrpc ;-)

I've been playing with this for a couple days now, and as the only way
(that I know of) to support a large, shared namespace in python is to
require the use of setuptools, and given that so many object to its
use, I've bailed on tx.jsonrpc and have simply used txjsonrpc and
txJSON-RPC in my project.