[Twisted-Python] From prototype to production

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Jul 25 12:44:04 MDT 2008

On 03:38 pm, newmom72 at hotmail.com wrote:
>Is this thinking correct? Are there any obvious scalability issues that
>I would encounter if I used python in production? Is it automatically
>obvious that I need to reprogram my methods in C, or even a lower-level
>language?

It's not "automatically" obvious, but that doesn't mean that it will
work.  Develop some benchmarks for your application, see how fast it is,
determine whether you need to optimize it, and profile it to discover
which parts would benefit from optimization.

This strategy is not unique to Twisted, Python, or any other library or
language, for that matter.  Even if you wrote your whole system in C
there is no guarantee that it would magically be fast enough to support
your users.

In most cases Python is fast enough, and in those cases where it is not,
you can usually move just a few functions to C.  I have never seen a
case where Python was so slow that an entire system needed to be
rewritten.