[Twisted-Python] Twisted Hosting and Twisted in the Cloud

Andy Fundinger Andy at NewWorldElectric.com
Wed Jul 2 09:50:07 MDT 2008

Cloud support would be nice.  I have a twisted app(a web service to
implement a game server for Second Life) that is likely to have a rough
scaling curve with bursty usage.  Atm I'm running it on a dedicated virtual
box with plans to go to EC2 and then multiple EC2s, but a single cloud
instance would be better. I've already got a decoupled permanent datastore
which interfaces to SDB for a cloud should work from that angle too.

What would twisted look like on a cloud?  Would the main reactor still be
single threaded with threads being distributed or would we have to
rearchitect for multiple main reactors by port or path?

Andy Fundinger

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Curt <curtferguson at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>  Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>
> How many others on these lists feel that they would benefit from the
> ease of pre-installed Twisted and/or support for Twisted apps in the
> cloud?
>

>  Might be great for some folks, twisted is really easy to install, cloud
> support would be very nice.
>
>  If you do, what kinds of apps (that you are currently running) do you
> want to be able to run in such environments? Simple web sites? DNS
> servers? Game servers? Chat applications? Web/data services apps?
>

>  The main project I'm working on is a bit of all of the above.  A game with
> chat, web interfaces for various things, also a custom client is in the
> works.  Still in very early development right now so I'm hosting it
> privately, when it goes public I'll definitely be looking for something.
>
> And lastly, what hosting companies are your favorites? Where would you
> be happiest, if they supported Twisted? Would you consider switching
> to a hosting provider that *did* support Twisted?
>

>  Personally I *really* like Slicehost.  www.slicehost.com  I'm sure
> everyone has their favorite though.

Blog: http://channel3b.wordpress.com
Second Life Name: Ciemaar Flintoff

I am a sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to
replicate.