[Twisted-Python] stopping daemon started via twistd

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:26:13 MDT 2008

I don't know of a portable way to do this, but...

The "stopService" method that you referenced is probably not what you want.

It stops a twisted service object, which you should have created in your
.tac file, but does not stop twistd.

I know diddly about how to stop and start service/daemon processes on MacOS,
but on Win32, you have a lot of options:
- rewrite things to use pywin32's services support...this typically involves
starting the reactor manually, though
- there's some code in the twisted svn sandbox (look under moonfallen) that
does something like this using py2exe (haven't used this though)
- take your twistd command line and use "instsrv" and "srvany" to make it
run as a service (maybe)

Good luck!

Kevin Horn