[Twisted-Python] Please recommend a RPC system working with twisted.

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Mon Jul 21 09:18:00 EDT 2008

On 2008.07.21 15:01:49 +0800, Peter Cai wrote:
> I'm looking for an RPC system working with twisted.
>
> 1. Binary.  I want it run faster than any xml based RPC.
>
> 2. Bidirectional.  Unlike  HTTP, on which the client has to poll the sever
> for events, the server should "call" the client's method to notify events.
>
> 3. C/Python support.  Part of the system shall be written in C.
>
> 4. Could easily integrated  with twisted.

Twisted AMP meets all your requirements except C support, which you
could probably add.  (Or maybe avoid adding by using some other way
to bridge C computing code with Python network code, like ctypes.)

Also take a look at Google's Protocol Buffers, which lacks C support but
has C++ support.  A Twisted version called txprotobuf was recently
announced.  (Note that Protocol Buffers isn't really a full RPC system,
just the serialization part.)

I think combining these two might work nicely, though I haven't tried it
yet.

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net