[Twisted-Python] Adding code to twisted

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Mon Jan 28 20:53:04 MST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:04 AM, Justin Warren <daedalus at eigenmagic.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recent list activity has reminded me that I have some code that I'd like
> to add to the twisted codebase. I've had a browse of the developer docs,
> which seem geared towards patching, so how should I approach adding
> chunks of new features?
>
> Specifically, I have 2 pieces of code to add:
>
> 1. libsnmp, twisted-ified. This is my pure Python SNMP library that has
> been successfully used with twisted for several years now, on both my
> own projects and other people's. Adding this into twisted has been
> briefly mentioned on the list before.

This would be a nice thing to have.

> 2. A ZAPI[1] protocol implementation. I built some ZAPI handling code
> for ModiPY[2] that uses twisted, and I figured other people might also
> find it useful if they have a need to talk to NetApp kit.

I don't really know what this is, which means that I'm biased towards
not having it in Twisted.

> Is there any interest in having these things added to twisted? If so,
> could the appropriate admins maybe email me off list about how to do
> this?

You'll need commit access and you'll need to file a ticket for each of
these. Chris Armstrong or Jean-Paul Calderone should be able to give
you the former.

You should be warned that your code needs to be reviewed before it
hits the tree, and you'll need to have good unit tests.

Also, if you are going to add such big features, it's probably a good
idea to start tracking the mailing list.

jml