[Twisted-Python] Soon to be not-a-newbie?

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at mac.com
Fri Jan 25 16:28:29 EST 2008

Hi Darran,

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:10:32 -0600, Darran Edmundson
<darran at edmstudio.com> wrote:

> L. Daniel Burr wrote:
>> Again, good stuff.  Which part do you have to leave behind?  The part
>> that
>> expects code to execute synchronously, or something else?
>
> I'd guess this is the number one stumbling block.  That said, most
> people come to Twisted *precisely because* they want asynchronous
> execution.  It's a hard problem, and any reasonably intelligent
> programmer quickly discovers that using Twisted is infinitely easier
> than trying to cobble together a custom solution.  There are more than
> enough learning resources available (online tutorials, the book, this
> list, a very helpful irc channel).   I suggest ignoring the "twisted is
> hard" crowd ... such people are probably looking for a simple(r)
> solution where none (currently) exists.

Well, I certainly agree with the conclusions you have drawn, with the
exception of ignoring the "twisted is hard" crowd.  I think there is
value in helping people "get" what Twisted is, because I want to be
able to continue working in an ecosystem where I can say "let's write
a twisted service that does X", and not be shouted down by a team of
developers who say "boo, twisted is too hard, let's go use something,
anything, other than twisted."

Have a good one,

L. Daniel Burr