[Twisted-Python] Re: Teach Me Twisted?

paul paul at subsignal.org
Wed Jan 23 18:18:02 EST 2008

Steve Holden schrieb:
> Jaime Wyant wrote:
>> I think this is a wonderful idea.  But, be sure to remember those not
>> fortunate enough to attend PyCon (me :)), and keep transcripts or
>> video, or some medium.
>>
> I plan to make my own audio recording, so at the very least I can
> transcribe it with Naturally Speaking and edit it for the web. I am not
> currently sure what plans PyCon has for supporting Open Space sessions.
> Sorry you won't be able to make it to PyCon :-(
>
> Aside: do you know that financial support may be available? See
>
> http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2008/01/pycon-2008-financial-aid-available.html
>
>> But the big question is, what will they teach you?  You should have an
>> idea of some type of network application you want to build.  Obviously
>> it should be something that would touch on a lot of different facets
>> of twisted.  Or maybe it would be better to have smaller "example"
>> applications that show off neat things like conch.
>>
> That's a good point. Maybe there should be two sessions? One could focus
> on "Twisted principles" and establish the absolute must-know information
> that forms the basis of everyone's knowledge (except, currently, mine).
>
> The seconds could then focus on how to build a small application (an
> echo server? With Twisted that would surely be way too easy: I need
> community help in choosing a task of about the right scope).
How about a twisted version of the (in)famous "webapp in 20 minutes"?
Maybe not a stupid blog but some kind of remote management by using
conch? That would be:
- simple persistence (maybe just files but async)
- business logic (conch connecting to a host and doing stuff)
- presentation layer with web or web2

I did something like that a few month back and had a hard time gathering
all the pieces of information ;) I still can't believe I have to parse
raw response strings to handle POST ;))

cheers
  Paul