[Twisted-Python] Closing connections properly

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 08:41:40 EST 2008

Hi,

Having a simple server based on a LineReceiver, what is the proper way
to close connections and delete the class containing those connections
(the class built by BuildProtocol()).

Given the simple code below, Protocol.BuildProtocol is called when I
client connections, and builds and instance of the class Connection.
When the client disconnects, Connection.connectionLost is called, but
the instance continues (__del__ is never called). I even naively tried
added a 'del self' statement to the connectionLost method, but its not
c++ 'delete this'!

How should I delete the closed connection? Is there something in twisted
I can overload, or should I use the server to track connections better
and perform my deleting there?

Thanks

Simon

Example
--------------

class Connection(basic.LineReceiver):
    def __init__(self):
        self.ipAddress = "000.000.000.000"
        self.port = 0
        logger.CON("Opening new connection")

    def __del__(self): # never called
        logger.CON("Closed connection to %s:%d" % (self.ipAddress,
self.port))

    def connectionMade(self):
        """ Overrides method in basic.LineReceiver """
        self.ipAddress = self.transport.getPeer().host
        self.port = self.transport.getPeer().port
        logger.CON("Log in attempt from %s:%d" % (self.ipAddress,
self.port))

    def connectionLost(self, reason):
        """ Overrides method in basic.LineReceiver """
        logger.CON("%s:%d has closed the connection, %s" %
(self.ipAddress, self.port, reason))
        self.transport.loseConnection()

    def dataReceived(self, data):
        """ Overrides method in basic.LineReceiver """
        logger.CON("%s:%d received %s" % (self.ipAddress, self.port, data))

class Server(Protocol):
    factory = Factory()
    factory.protocol = Connection
    def __init__(self, maxClients):
        self.max_clients = maxClients
        logger.NET("Server started")

    def doStart(self):
        logger.NET("Port: %d" % globalVars.zoneAddress[1])
        logger.NET("...... waiting for a connection ......")
    def doStop(self):
        logger.NET("Server is now closed")

    def buildProtocol(self, addr):
        logger.NET("Connection attempt....")