[Twisted-Python] Re: How to make a secure connection between two computers

Drew Smathers drew.smathers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 14:07:48 MST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 3:02 PM, Noam Raphael <noamraph at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all!
>
> I think that at the end, I'll just use Python's plain socket, since I
> don't intend to serve more than one request at a time. I also don't
> really need to use SSL, since my two computers can have a pre-shared
> secret. Here's what I wrote - tell me what you think!

I think you could have written the equivalent program in less lines of code
using facilities provided by Twisted.  And you'd have the benefits of a
number of things your program doesn't provide including:

* transport/protocol separation
* ability to handle multiple clients efficiently

It is not my area expertise by any means, but shared-secret message hashing
is a rather crude (read : easy to sniff and replay traffic) security
mechanism.

Cheers,

--