[Twisted-Python] LDAP server based on python

Ottavio Campana ottavio at campana.vi.it
Tue Feb 19 11:29:35 EST 2008

xavier dutoit ha scritto:
>>> right ? Did Ottavio Campana manage to have something working and did
>>> he publish the result of his modifications ?
>> Yes, I got something useful, it's going to be deployed soon but
>> eventually I didn't come out with acls. Even though I have to say
>> ldaptor fits well in my project and for some aspects I'm happier than
>> with openldap.
>
> Congrat !
> Are you going to release the ldap code with an open source license ?

well I think I think I'm releasing it opensource. Two days ago I
discovered a tremendous problem in the software due to utf-8 encoding
required by sqlite...

I'm trying to fix it, but it's not fixed yet, so I'd like to fix it
before releasing.

 > I'm in discussion with Tommi about adding ACLs, would you be
 > interested ? Beside, he told me ldaptor should be updated to work with
 > the latest on twisted, something you've done already ?

well, I'm sorry but I don't think I'll have time. I just finished my
doctorate, so I'm looking for a postdoc and I do not know what I'm doing
(by the way, if you are aware of some positions... ;-) )

>> I have a web application I wrote with twisted web. This application
>> saves data in a sqlite file. Whenever the user modifies it from the web,
>> the application updates also the files used by ldaptor, since what I
>> need is only to export them with ldap.
>
> Yes, more or less what I want to do (based on mysql instead of sqlite).
>
> What is the ldap client you use ? What is the ldap schema (my goal is
> to read it from a mail client)

I use sqlite instead of mysql because the software has to run on an
embedded system. I use inetorgperson, since it works with all clients,
as far as I know (and have tested).

>> It does not have acls, but I managed to get something similar by
>> patching how the ldap server works. Moreover, to prevent corruption I
>> modified how operations different from search behave.
>
>> What do you want to do?
>
> Quite simply provide LDAP access (bind, search, unbind) on the
> contacts in a CRM (civicrm). I'm working for NGOs, and that's the
> easiest I found to provide access to the address book from within
> outlook/thunderbird/whatever mail client.

I do not know this crm...

>> About doc: in ldaptor/protocols/ldap/ldapserver.py I found nearly
>> everything I needed, give al look also to ldaptor/ldiftree.py to see how
>> not to store everything in memory but in a filesystem. Also give a look
>> at http://www.inoi.fi/open/trac/ldaptor/browser/trunk/test-ldapserver.tac
>
> Thanks ! Why didn't you try fetching directly from the db instead of
> putting it in an intermediate file ?

that was the easiest solution. But if you have patches... :-)

> What is your application ? Is this something public ?

it is (wants to be in the future) a front end to asterisk. By now it has
an addressbook, which can be accessed with a browser to execute calls or
with ldap protocol.

I'm working right now to understand how to fix the encoding problem,
please email me next week, when I hope I'll have fixed it.

Bye

--
Non c'e' piu' forza nella normalita', c'e' solo monotonia.