[Twisted-Python] Re: How to make a secure connection between two computers

Martin Geisler mg at daimi.au.dk
Mon Feb 18 05:22:23 EST 2008

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:

>>I initially stayed away from pyOpenSSL since
>>
>>* it seems dead: last release was in 2004 with Windows installers
>>  for Python 2.1. This message seems to indicate that a live form
>>  exists: http://tinyurl.com/3b4yeq
>
> There isn't much, if any, development happening on PyOpenSSL.
> Partially, this is because it does enough as it is now (although
> there are some features it could provide which would be nice).
> Partially it's because the original author has disappeared into the
> void.

Okay, thanks for the explaination.

>> [snip licensing issues I don't have any clue about]
>>
>>* The GnuTLS has a nice (maybe biased) comparison page:
>>
>>    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/comparison.html
>>

> GnuTLS support in Twisted might be interesting. I have heard rumors
> that OpenSSL is a higher quality implementation than GnuTLS, but I
> don't have any first-hand experience; it's possible this is just
> fud.

Neither do I... :-)

> There's no reason Twisted couldn't support both of these libraries
> and use whichever is available (or allow explicit selection). I
> think there's even a ticket open in the tracker for this. But since
> PyOpenSSL basically works, the motivation to work on this might be
> missing for a lot of people.

Right, I can definitely understand that!

>>Is there a cross-platform GPL compatible library out there that will
>>give me TLS for Linux, Mac, and Windows on Python 2.4 and upwards?
>
> There's also TLSLite, which includes Twisted support. I don't have
> any first-hand experience with it either, though.
>
> There's also M2Crypto, but since that's just another OpenSSL
> wrapper, it probably doesn't take care of your license concerns.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll look more into this when I (or more
likely, someone else) really need SSL/TLS support on Windows.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.