[Twisted-Python] Re: How to make a secure connection between two computers

Martin Geisler mg at daimi.au.dk
Tue Feb 12 14:08:21 EST 2008

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:

>>I am using TLS via GNUTLS via python-gnutls :-)
>>
>>  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-gnutls
>>
>>As I understand it, TLS is the successor to SSL. Python-gnutls
>>contains an example echo server and client that using Twisted and TLS.
>
> Yes, although TLS is commonly referred to as SSL, and Twisted's "SSL"
> support is actually support of SSL and TLS.

Okay, good to know.

>>To generate the certificates I use this Makefile:
>>
>> [snip]
>
> One can also use recent versions of twisted.internet.ssl to generate
> certificates.
>
> See KeyPair, PrivateCertificate, and Certificate (and maybe some other
> stuff, if you want) here:
>
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.internet.ssl.html

Thanks! I actually do want to replace the Makefile with Python to make
it cross-platform. In that regard I probably also have to replace the
python-gnutls library since it has no Windows binaries (that I could
tell).

I initially stayed away from pyOpenSSL since

* it seems dead: last release was in 2004 with Windows installers for
  Python 2.1. This message seems to indicate that a live form exists:
  http://tinyurl.com/3b4yeq

* the OpenSSL license issue. My project is under the GPL and therefore I
  would prefer a library under the (L)GPL too to make things simple.

* The GnuTLS has a nice (maybe biased) comparison page:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/comparison.html

Is there a cross-platform GPL compatible library out there that will
give me TLS for Linux, Mac, and Windows on Python 2.4 and upwards?

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.