[Twisted-Python] Twisted and Centos5 install problems

Doug Farrell dfarrell at mypublisher.com
Sat Feb 2 14:20:04 EST 2008

<dfarrell at mypublisher.com>
> wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >I'm trying to install Twisted 2.5 on a Centos 5 intel based server
that
> >has Python 2.4 on it, and am having problems. I download the Twisted
2.5
> >tar file, unpack it, go to the zope.interface directory and perform a
> >"sudo python setup.py install" command, which succeeds. I then go to
the
> >root directory and do the same thing for Twisted "sudo python
setup.py
> >install" and it looks like it completes successfully. When I go into
the
> >Python interpreter and enter an "import twisted" line, that works
fine.
> >However, if I do this, "from twisted import web" I get an error:
> >
> >Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 14 2007, 19:01:42)
> >[GCC 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-52)] on linux2
> >Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
> >Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> >ImportError: cannot import name web
> >
> >When I look in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted I see that it
> >has a web directory, so I'm not sure what's going on or what the
problem
> >is. Any insights would be most welcome!
> >

> Is this a 64 bit machine?  Do you also have /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-
> packages/twisted?  If so, it may be that Python is
> picking that up, causing it to ignore anything in
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-
> packages/twisted.
>
> If so, the solution is to tell distutils to install all of Twisted in
the
> same place.  I forget the exact options to do this, you can probably
find
> them in the output of "python setup.py install --help".
>
> Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul

Thanks for the hint, when I looked at the output of uname -a on the
target machine it reported this:

Linux dev03.com 2.6.18-8.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jun 14 17:29:04 EDT 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Which looks like it's running in Intel 64 bit mode to me. So I'll have
to look around to see how to install Twisted in a 64 environment. Any
help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks again!
Doug